When the gold seekers were flocking to Colorado in 1859, church leaders were coming to the New West for other reasons. Although many Protestant denominations came to the territory, there were not enough leaders to establish a church of each sect in a community, and since the laymen could see no real difference in the various denominations, one church in a community seemed to draw people from all faiths. Simon Cort, who was originally a Presbyterian, was the Secretary of the Official Board of the Methodist Episcopal Trinity Church in Denver (1865-1867), was Superintendent for the Union Sunday School in what is now Arvada, and was an Old School elder and secretary of the Union Presbytery in Denver in 1866. Presbyterians were slower in establishing churches due to the conflicting opinions during the Civil War. The Old School faction were Southern Sympathizers while the New School Presbyterians leaned toward Pro Union views.
The first Methodist Church in Jefferson County was organized in Golden in 1860. Abraham Slater was among the list of Charter Members.
John Cree, a Methodist Elder preached at Ralston's Crossing and organized a class there in 1866. A church was built and dedicated at the Crossing in 1867. The following year the Ralston Society became divided and the church was later sold to the school district.
The first Methodist Service in the immediate Arvada area was held at Oliver Graves' new log house in the summer of 1866, but was later moved to the school house at 5642 Wadsworth.
-Minutes of the Methodist Episcopal Trinity Church, 1865-1867.
-Murrav, Dr. Arthur E., Presbyterianism in Colorado and Utah, Golden Bell Press, Denver, 1971.
-Beardsley, Isaac H., Echoes from Peak and Plain, Curts and Jennings, N.Y., 1898.